Counter

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Emotional Parks and Rec Response

Recently I've gotten into Parks and Rec.
I know...I know... I'm way behind...
In my defense, I tried to get into it a while ago, but after making it midway through season 2, I still wasn't liking it.
Luckily, due to the influence of my awesome girlfriend, I gave season 2 another chance, and it finally got good!

Anyway, the other day I had a whole emotional experience in response to an episode.
Saturday morning, I watched a few episodes before going for a long and difficult bike ride.
I don't know why, but for some reason when I am under physical stress, my emotions are closer to the surface.

As I was breathing hard and struggling up a big hill, a particular portion of dialog came to mind, and I got all emotional and misty eyed.
In the scene, Ben goes to the chief of police to ask for a favor in behalf of Leslie Knopp.
Ben was really nervous, because they were asking for a lot.
After hearing the request, the chief tells him, "Leslie Knopp gets as many favors as she wants."
Confused by his generosity, Ben says, "Can I ask why?"
The chief simply says, "Because she's the sort of person who uses favors to help other people."

When I first heard this, I didn't think much of it, but for some reason, in that moment of exertion, that scene really had an impact on me. I feel like it is a profound testimony of the value of character. We should all aspire to live our lives in such a way that similar things could be said of us.

No comments: