Counter

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Superman Returns!




I started this post quite a long time ago, but never finished it.
I am one of the few people who actually really liked Superman Returns.
Out of all the Superman movies, it is probably my favorite.
I know that it borrows dialog and plot elements from the first Superman film, but for some reason, it works. Those things just seem to fit.

My brother had never seen it before, so after the disappointing Man of Steel, we decided to all watch Superman Returns for comparison. We all agreed that Superman Returns is exponentially better than Man of Steel. It is just so much more satisfying and true to the character.

So without getting too much into spoilers, here are the top ten reasons I love Superman Returns:

10. The music is fantastic! The combination of the original John Williams soundtrack with some new original compositions is so good! This is a fantastic film score.
9. I think Brandon Routh is the perfect actor to play Superman. I thought he did an excellent job, despite much of the criticism. One of the problems with Superman is that if you pick someone who fits the Superman role well, he usually seems out of place as Clark Kent. Routh seems to fit both roles quite well.
8. The Gatling gun save. How cool is it to just walk right into the hail of bullets from a Gatling gun?!
7. The airplane save. This whole sequence is just spectacular. Crashing through the burning wing...the crumpling nose...the stadium...I love it!
6. When he pulls the ship out of the ocean, rips the door off, grabs the guys hand, and then just drops the ship out from under them. This scene is both incredibly touching, incredibly powerful, and a visual spectacle. Very impressive.
5. When he is so exhausted that he just plummets back to earth.
4. That the doctor's needles just bend when they try to stick him.
3. The crowd outside the hospital
2. Despite his jealousy, I love how Superman respects Richard's role as head of his family. When Superman saves them from the sinking ship, instead of doing it all himself, he saves Richard, but allows Richard to save his family. This movie is far more profound than people give it credit for.
1. Despite its flaws, this film really captures the heart and soul of Superman. I love how satisfying it is!

There you have it. I wasn't planning on giving this film a star rating, but what the heck, I'll do it anyway.
I would give Superman Returns 4 stars out of 5.

No comments: