Counter

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


The Perks of Being a Wallflower didn't really interest me when it first came out. I usually try to stay on top of the films that come out, and which ones are worth seeing, but I hadn't heard much about this one, and therefore concluded that it was just some fluffy teen flick that could easily be missed. I guess it just sort of slipped through the cracks...

I recently watched it on my brother's recommendation.
I'm glad I did, because it was excellent!
I was incredibly impressed with this film, from start to finish.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower has probably the most talented cast of young people I have ever seen in a movie before. Everyone did a really excellent job.
I especially liked Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. Those two really stole the show.
Logan Lerman is quickly becoming my favorite young actor. He is incredibly talented.

The thing that impressed me most about this film, was how heartfelt and genuine it was.  It was such a thoughtful and personal look into some of the issues high school age kids might face. Even though you might not have dealt with the exact same issues, I think everyone can relate to the feelings portrayed. Particularly poignant was the need to be accepted, make friends, and get a fresh start. Everyone has things that they would like to leave behind and forget about. As someone who didn't particularly like high school, and never really felt like I fit in, I related to this film very deeply.

One thing that I've come to understand in recent years, is that not everyone can understand or identify with every film. Some really excellent films seem to be totally lost on some people, while they truly resonate with others. One of the best examples of this is Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. Truly personal for some, abstract and boring for others. There isn't anything wrong with this, it just means that films take on different meanings based on our experiences. I feel like The Perks of Being a Wallflower falls into this category. While it is an excellent film, it won't resonate with everyone.

I'm really surprised that this film didn't garner more buzz when it was released. It basically got overlooked for all the major awards, especially the Oscars.
In my opinion this film absolutely should have been nominated for best picture.
In fact, I'm going to make the declaration that this is the best film from 2012 that I have seen. I think this was a much better film than all of the 2012 best picture nominees. It was certainly better than Argo. I still can't believe that won best picture. That's probably the least deserving best picture winner I have ever seen. Coincidentally, Argo was released the same day that The Perks of Being a Wallflower was released.
While I am on the topic, I am also incredibly surprised that The Silver Linings Playbook got so much attention. That movie, and every performance in the movie, was absolute garbage.  Who really thought the performances in that film were deserving of so many best actor nominations? The performances from the cast of The Perks of Being a Wallflower were much more powerful and evocative. With Silver Linings Playbook, I felt like every member of the cast just phoned it in.

Had The Perks of Being a Wallflower been nominated for best picture that year, it would have been my favored pick to win.

What the heck...I'm going to go ahead and give it 5 stars out of 5.

I kind of feel like The Perks of Being a Wallflower nicely rounds out a little trilogy of favorites for me, along with 500 Days of Summer, and 50/50.
Wallflower so perfectly captures high school and the teenage years, 500 Days of Summer perfectly illustrates what it is like to have a real relationship, and 50/50 shows us the impact that health and other physical trials can have. In each of these films, friends and family play an integral role. These films deal with real issues that everyone will face at some time in their lives. I'm not sure what genre these films fall into, but whatever it is, it is my favorite genre.

No comments: