Counter

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Gatsby


Last weekend I saw The Great Gatsby.

What a weird movie!

I'm not super familiar with the works of Baz Luhrmann. I've seen Moulin Rouge!, and Australia, but that's all.

I didn't really like Moulin Rouge!, the style and story didn't really appeal to me.

Australia was ok, it was just way too long.  Really it should have been split into two separate movies.

I suppose if you like the style of Baz Luhrmann, then you will probably like The Great Gatsby also.

I can't really say that I liked it...but I do have to admit, the soundtrack was pretty good; especially the new song by Lana Del Rey.


Watching this movie was like a roller coaster for me.  I don't mean that the movie itself was a roller coaster, but rather that my opinion of the movie, while I was watching it, fluctuated wildly...like a roller coaster!

At times I thought, "this is the worst movie I've ever seen!" Then a few minutes later I would think, "hey, this crap isn't half bad."
Other times I thought, "this style is so stupid!" But then I would think, "wow, the style was actually really cool in that part."

It was a strange experience.

The party scenes got a little tiresome after a while. There were so many of them!
I was also kind of grossed out by how sweaty this movie is. I swear, half the movie consisted of characters lazily lying around on sofas, half dressed, all sweaty and gross from the New York summer heat. It gave it kind of a trashy feel.

I only have two real complaints about Gatsby, besides the weird style:

1. Tobey Maguire is terrible! He's terrible in everything! Why are people still giving him jobs?!

2. The CGI was terrible! They used it WAY too much! Seriously, at times the buildings and scenery looked like they belonged in a Star Wars prequel...it was so bad.

Everything else...was ok.

It's been a long time since I've read the novel, and I don't remember it very well, but I am told that this movie follows the book very well, with the exception of Nick Carraway narrating from a Sanitarium.

My overall impression of the film is that it is all style and no substance; which is actually rather appropriate considering the book itself is about a bunch of selfish people who are solely concerned with style and appearance, but have no real substance themselves.
So in a way, the style of Baz Luhrmann was the perfect medium for conveying the ideas and personalities found in The Great Gatsby.

Like I said, it's weird.

By some strange cosmic stroke of genius or happenstance, this terrible film is somehow made excellent through its terribleness.

I would say it is worth watching...once.

2.5 stars out of 5.

No comments: