Counter

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Who Watches the Watchmen?


I recently finished reading the graphic novel Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

I loved this book! This was definitely one that was difficult to put down, and I suffered many late nights and drowsy mornings on its account.

I read Watchmen on my brother's recommendation, and I don't think I could write a better review than he already did, so please go check out his blog post.

I do have a few comments to add though.

This is only the second graphic novel I have read. The first was V for Vendetta, also by Moore.
For a long time I was kind of skeptical of graphic novels, thinking that they are pretty much just expanded comic books. Now that I've read some, I've realized that this is ok.  Being illustrated doesn't lessen the potential value of the story or themes.  Actually it makes for a rather unique experience, because rather than reading pages and pages of descriptions, you can spend that time studying the detailed images. Many of the pictures contain subtle clues about the story and characters that could easily be missed if you were to rush through it.  Good graphic novels are something to be savored.  It's actually quite refreshing to experience a quality story told though a different format. It's really a treat for the imagination.

Overall I would give this book 4.5 stars out of 5. Great story, incredible characters and dialog, amazing images, Watchmen has it all.

Seriously, every time Rorschach spoke, I was in awe. This book has one of the best opening monologues of all time. Sometime I need to re-read this book, and make a list of all of my favorite quotes.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

I'm really excited to read this! It sounds awesome! (And I've also read V for Vendetta...sucha good book!)

Honestly, everything you were saying sounds like something I would have said when I first started reading graphic novels...I totally get where you're coming from. But, there is just so much more to explore! Check out Goodreads sometime...they have a ton of suggestions for graphic novels ^^