Counter

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Note

I don't have very many memories from elementary school, and those that I do have are mostly unpleasant.
But I do have a few memories that I kind of like a little bit... Playing Pogs in the hallway, crossing the monkey bars at recess, soccer in sixth grade, and this one...

In fifth grade we had cubby boxes in the back of our classroom.

One day I opened mine and found a note inside.

It was a love note from a secret admirer.

My first one.

Actually, my only one...

I tried so hard to figure out who it was from.

I even tried matching the handwriting with several of the girls that I knew.

That silly note meant so much to me.

I knew it was probably just a prank, but I didn't care.

For some reason it made me feel hopeful.

I held on to that dumb thing for nearly two decades.

I kept it tucked away in a safe place.

I think I finally threw it away a few years ago.

Maybe I should have kept it...

1 comment:

Emmy said...

There is something so beautiful about the innocence of childhood love letters. What a cute story ^^