Counter

Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging lately. I'm sure I've pretty much lost all of my readers by now.
I actually have written quite a few blog posts over the last few months, but I just can't bring myself to finish them.  I suppose I've been in kind of an emotional slump for the last little while.
Fear not, I am taking measures to pull myself out of it. :)

The actual purpose of this post is to talk about the end of the world.

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard about the Mayan calendar.

I was in 7th grade Social Studies class, out in a portable classroom. I can't remember my teacher's name right now, but I wish I could, because I really liked her.

(Side note: One of the reasons I liked this teacher was because she once had us guess how many books she had read the previous year. Turns out it was 50! I always admired her for that.)

Anyway, I don't remember why she taught us about the Mayan calendar, but I do remember being fascinated by it.  She taught us how it was an incredibly accurate calendar that tracked the phases of the moon, and that after so many centuries, it was only off in its predictions by about 30 seconds.

I had no idea that ancient civilizations were so advanced!

Then she taught us about the last date on the Mayan calendar, and how some people thought that it was predicting the end of the world.

Somewhere in my 7th grade notes I wrote down that date, and tucked it away in a safe place.  I found that note several years ago, although I'm not sure where it ended up after that...

Sitting in class that day, I did the math and figured out that in the year 2012, I would be 30 years old.
That age and date seemed impossibly far in the future.

I thought about who I would be, and what I would be doing at that age.

It's incredibly interesting to reflect back on this vivid memory of my youth, and think that in many ways, I'm still the same little boy, musing over the wonders of the world. Some things just don't change.

It's equally interesting to remember who I thought I would be in the year 2012.

Even though my life doesn't totally match the predictions of my youth, I don't think 13 year old Robby would be disappointed in me. I've been blessed with a good life, a lot of happiness, and many great successes.
I still have a few things left to do, but those will come in time.

Life is good, and I'm glad that the world is still going.

No comments: