Counter

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Triathlon!

Well, my first triathlon was a success!

My goal was to finish in under 1 hour 30 minutes, and my overall time ended up being 1 hour 25 minutes and 14 seconds.
I finished 15th out of 19 in my age group. Not great, but at least I wasn't last!
Now I can make some specific goals for improvement.

As expected, the swim was my weakest event.
I swam the 350 yards in 10:46.
I tried to swim the freestyle stroke, but only made it one length before I was out of breath and struggling.  I had to revert to the slower sidestroke for the rest of the swim.
Even with doing the sidestroke I only got passed by three people, and that was on the very last length.
I hadn't officially timed myself for that swim distance, so I was pleasantly surprised by my time.


My transition from swim to bike took 2:42. I could probably shave some time off that in the future. Maybe lose the gloves and the socks...



The biking was definitely my strongest event. I felt great the whole time, and I was passing tons of people!
I biked the 12 miles in 39:06, so that was an average of about 18.5mph.
I was just so happy to be out of the pool and on my bike!


My transition from bike to run was pretty quick, only 1:36.
It would have been much quicker, but it took me a little while to figure out where all my stuff was!
I need to figure out a way to make my area more obvious. Either that or count rows before the start.
Even with that lost time, my elastic shoe laces really helped keep my transition quick.  Those were my favorite triathlon accessory by far!


I ran the 5K in 31:04, so I was doing just over a nine minute mile. I can speed that up...
I definitely do not like running, but it was fine I guess. I just kept myself moving.

They had water right at the beginning of the run, and a Gatorade station halfway through. I wish that they had switched those locations and had the Gatorade first, and the water second.
I don't like taking Gatorade without water to follow because it feels sticky in my mouth and throat, so when I got to that second aid station I didn't drink anything. I probably should have.

The run was out in the open, on the street; so the sun was baking down on us pretty hard.
The last half mile was pretty hard for me because I was really tired and thirsty from the sun and heat.
I definitely could have used some water at that aid station...
Anyway, I pushed through and finished just fine.


After I was all done I felt great! Tired and thirsty, but great!
Even now, a day later, I'm not very sore, so I felt pretty well prepared.


Before I do another one, I really  need to improve my swimming. I need to get the freestyle stroke down! That is my number one priority.
Besides that, I just need to keep up my biking and running, shed a few pounds, and hopefully shave a few minutes off both of those events.

I'm really glad I did it, it was a lot of fun!

**********************************************************************

As an aside, I had two crazy experiences that I wanted to share.

The first was from the Saturday before the race.
I decided to do the bike and running routes in advance, so I would be familiar with them, and have an expectation on my times.
I was halfway done with the biking when it started to thunder and lighting.
I was riding along, and suddenly I felt a tingle run down my right arm, and a shock come out my index finger!
Half a second later, I saw lightning strike somewhere in the distance!

It kind of freaked me out!

More freaky though, is that I didn't really have a place to go to escape, so I just kept riding.
Over the next few minutes, that same thing happened to me four or five times!

Where I was riding there were lots of power poles, so I figured that if lightning was going to strike, it would probably strike one of those before it got me.

Anyway, I kept riding and everything was fine.
It eventually started raining pretty hard, and I got soaked.  It actually felt pretty good. It cooled me off quite a bit.


The second experience happened during the race.

I was just starting the bike portion, and had made my first turn onto a main road.
They didn't stop traffic for the event, so I was riding along with other cars.

I was riding on the shoulder when the car ahead of me suddenly pulled right in front of me and slowed way down to make a right hand turn into a parking lot.

They totally cut me off!

I braked so hard that I actually did a front wheelie.

I managed to skid almost to a stop, but I did hit their back bumper with my front tire.

It all happened so fast, and I was so focused on braking that I didn't have much time to think of anything else.
I thought for sure I was going to wreck, and was quite surprised when I didn't.

After I hit their bumper, my rear wheel dropped back onto the pavement, they finished their turn, and my bike seemed ok so I just kept on riding.

It was really scary, but I was just glad that I was ok.

It sure got my adrenaline pumping for the race!

The moral of the story is to really watch out for bikers when you are driving, and realize that they actually are moving pretty quickly, and you can't cut them off. Treat them like another vehicle.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Robby, you are my hero!!!