Counter

Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Storm is Coming...

I'm turning 30 in October.

That ominous month is right around the corner.

I'm not much of a party person.

I don't like being the center of attention.

I don't like planning things.

I don't like decorating.

I don't like finding mass quantities of party food...

...But I also feel like I shouldn't let this event slip by un-celebrated.

I want to enter my 30's with a bang, so to speak.

So, what should I do?

I don't have anyone in my life that is likely to throw me a party.

Is it totally lame to throw a party for yourself?

Let's face it, I don't have the ambition or desire to throw one for myself.

Maybe a small gathering will have to do.

Maybe the necessary ambition will suddenly come to me.

Hmmm...I'm going to have to think about this one.


1 comment:

Emmy said...

The first half of this sounded like something I would have written.

I'm turning 22 in October. And I'm not a party person, don't like being the center of attention, etc.

That being said, I think that if you want to do something like this, you should do it. But also, you shouldn't feel obligated to do something just because that's sort of the social convention. Do what you feel comfortable with.

And perhaps a small get-together might be fun. I'm always a fan of asking a group of friends to go out to dinner to celebrate. No gifts, no expectations (A legacy of so-so friends has made me a bit cynical; I don't expect much--nor do I always want it).

If you're anything like me, the best way to spend a birthday could be with a bottle of your favorite beer, a fun movie, and a few good friends.

Hope things work out for you!!