Counter

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Weekend: Film Reviews in Brief

Last weekend I watched three movies that I hadn't seen before!
I thought I would briefly review each of them.

In the Heat of the Night (1967)

This is most definitely a classic, and is regarded as one of Sidney Poitier's best films.
That being said, I didn't really like it. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
It is a film about racial prejudice in the south, wrapped in the context of a murder mystery.
Basically, Sidney Poitier is a professional, educated, well-dressed, well-paid black man, who finds himself in a southern town full of ignorant, white-trash, people. It was frustrating seeing him mistreated, but it was somewhat satisfying to see the times when he totally made them look like fools.
I expect that the film was more impacting when it was made in 1967. Today it was mostly just frustrating.

Hot Rod (2007)

This is most definitely a stupid movie...but it is deliberately trying to be stupid...so that makes it alright.  It is stupid in the same way that Napoleon Dynamite is stupid.  Also like Napoleon Dynamite, it is absolutely hilarious! I was rolling through most of it. It is probably the kind of film that is more funny when you watch it late at night with a bunch of friends. I would probably give it 3 stars out of 5.

The Big Heat (1953)

This was definitely the best film I saw over the weekend. Classic film noir! As classic as they come! I loved everything about this movie! The characters were great, the story was excellent, it was just an all around good film! I don't want to say too much about the story, but it is a classic detective/murder mystery/mobster film. It is super cool when the main character goes all vigilante on the bad guys. And there was some genuinely shocking stuff, considering this was made in 1953.
I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. This is one that I need to own.

No comments: