Counter

Friday, February 17, 2012

Marley and Me


I LOVED this book!
It is definitely a solid 5 stars!

It actually surprised me quite a bit. I thought it was going to be a silly, fluffy, kids book about a goofy dog. Instead it was a deeply moving, sentimental, family memoir.  It was also definitely written for adults.

I think that just about anyone would enjoy this book, not just dog lovers.  It perfectly captures all of the personal, intimate, and serious events that a family experiences as they go through life together.

While I was reading it, I found myself so envious of the husband in the book. More than anything I want a wife who deeply loves me, and is so fun to love back. I want children that are a joy, a job that is fulfilling, and a home full of priceless memories.

I don't think I've ever read a more human book.

During the last four or five chapters, I was a wreck. I was literally sobbing through those chapters. I don't think I've ever been so moved by a book before. It brought back so many vivid memories and feelings, and it made me happy to remember.

In my opinion, Marley and Me has done something that very few stories manage to achieve. I genuinely believe that the feelings and experiences captured in this book are timeless and universal. It is because of this rare accomplishment that I feel that Marley and Me will become immortal.

Edit: I finally got around to watching the movie. It was ok, but not nearly as good as the book. The book is at least 10 times better than the movie. So if you have only seen the movie, and don't feel particularly interested in reading the book, please reconsider. The book is really a treasure, while the film is rather forgettable.

No comments: