Counter

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Descendants


I liked this movie.
It was pretty funny, but also very tender in dealing with a very difficult subject.
George Clooney plays Matt King who's wife is in a boating accident and is critically injured.
While she is in a coma he discovers that she had been having an affair.
The film is about his relationship with his children as he tries to deal with the knowledge of the affair, and prepare for the possibility that his wife may die.
Probably the most interesting thing about the film is that Matt King must come to terms with the affair, and forgive his wife, without the ability to discuss any of it with her, or hear her side of the story.
The thing that impressed me most were the performances of the entire cast. Everyone was excellent, especially the children.
As I said, this was a very tender film, but I didn't find it to be very emotional. I did hear some sniffling throughout the theater though.
I wouldn't say this was one of my favorite films of the year, but it was very good.  I'm glad people are still making movies of this caliber. It was nominated for best picture, but in my opinion, it isn't one of the front runners.
I would give it 4 stars out of 5.

No comments: