Counter

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Midnight in Paris


This is the most enjoyable film I have seen in YEARS!
Seriously, you need to see it!
You ESPECIALLY need to see it if you like literature and art!

I realize it is possible that many of you have not heard of this film.
Where I live, it was not in wide release for some strange reason.  You may have to wait until you can rent/buy it, but don't worry, it will be worth the wait!

Midnight in Paris is the latest work from Woody Allen.
I've never really been much of a Woody Allen fan, but I admit that I haven't seen many of his films.
That's primarily because I haven't liked any of the ones I have seen...until now.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film this much!
There have been many other recent films that have impressed me, or moved me, or inspired me, but Midnight in Paris is just delightful in every way, from start to finish.  I laughed a lot, and it left me smiling and wanting more.
Good job Woody, you've convinced me to check out more of your films.

Also, it made me want to read more F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, T.S. Elliot, and listen to more Cole Porter.

Wonderful characters, witty dialog, fun situations, and a good message.

This was an absolutely terrific film that I would recommend to anyone.

One thing that I thought was really interesting was Owen Wilson's performance.  As you may know, Woody Allen frequently stars in his own films.  In my opinion Mr. Allen really isn't much of an actor since he usually just plays himself with a different name.  With that said, it was obvious that the main character was intended to be Woody himself.  What we got instead was Owen Wilson playing as Woody Allen.  It was fun seeing someone else play this now famous role.  What was even more fun though was seeing him do it so well!

With Woody Allen being too old to play the kinds of roles he writes for himself, I wonder if we will see more actors portraying the character, or if Owen Wilson has secured the part for the foreseeable future.  Personally, I would prefer if they left it to Owen.  He was just so dang good!

I've seen this masterpiece twice already, and it was even better the second time.  Go see it!

5 stars.

3 comments:

meg fee said...

everyone has suggested it and i have yet to go! must remember to get myself to the art house theatre...

Robby Spratt said...

You will love it! Next time you feel like taking yourself to a movie, this would be a good choice.

Eva said...

I agree, I loved this film! When Woody Allen is good, he is very very good. (But when he is bad, he is horrid) ;P

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com