Counter

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Tree of Life


The Tree of Life is simply one of the most beautiful and unique films I have ever seen.

When I was in the theater watching it for the first time, I wasn't sure exactly what was going on; all I knew was that I was in utter awe at the beauty I was witnessing.


Even after the film had ended I wasn't sure what to make of it.
Since then, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.
It has totally captivated my thoughts.
I need to see it again!

This film isn't for everyone. I'm sure there will be many who won't like it.
It is non-linear, heavily symbolic, deeply spiritual, and at times difficult to watch; but always beautiful.

I have read of many people who were moved to tears.
I wasn't.
To me it was more awe inspiring than emotional, but still an incredible experience.

I would describe The Tree of Life as a symbolic exploration of life, love, loss, and regret.

If you enjoy cerebral films, discussing the meaning of films, and are willing to sit through a film for the experience, rather than just as a source of entertainment, I think you will enjoy The Tree of Life.


If you haven't heard of this film, I recommend that you spend some time researching it.
I would suggest that you begin by watching the trailer.



My first reaction after seeing the trailer was, "they can't possibly make a film which carries on this same feel and imagery for its entire duration."
I was wrong.
The full length film plays out exactly like the trailer, but for two hours and nineteen minutes.
It is marvelous!
If you find yourself captivated by the trailer, definitely go see the film.  It will reward you immensely.


After watching the trailer I would recommend reading Roger Ebert's review of the film.  He calls The Tree of Life "a form of prayer", and I completely agree. It is a meditation on life.

When you go see the film, try to relate to the experiences and emotions it presents, rather than trying to strictly follow the story. I believe this is the way it was meant to be experienced.

Please, go see the film, and then come back and share your thoughts.  This is a film I am eager to discuss.




4 comments:

Robin said...

I get goosebumps whenever I watch the trailer, ha ha! I think I want to see it again too, it might be more emotional the 2nd time around since I wouldn't be focusing as much on the story. Or wondering why the heck there are dinosaurs.

Sonia said...

I have not seen The Tree of Life yet, but I've heard a lot about it. I also like Sean Penn acting.
thanks for recommendation. I'm going to see it tomorrow;)

S.P: I joined your blog, I enjoyed reading your posts.

Robby Spratt said...

Thanks for reading! Come back and share your thoughts on the film after you see it. :)

Sonia said...

The Tree Of Life was an answer to me and other people like me who have a lot of personal philosophical concerns in the third millennium of human history.
I loved the complicated way of the film. And also the classic musics of the film that were Fabulous!!
They were really match with my soul.
Thanks for the recommendation Robby.
And I'll wait for your next film recommendation.