Counter

Saturday, July 2, 2011

NYC: Day 1

Ok, I am FINALLY getting around to posting my five part series from our May trip to New York City!
It was an amazing vacation, and I hope you will enjoy reading about it.
I have tried to keep my travel-log minimal, and the pictures plentiful.

Enjoy!


We left SLC on the Jet Blue red-eye and got in to JFK a little before 6am. We had a very productive day, seeing as how we got started so dang early.


Here was our agenda for Saturday:
Chelsea - Murray's for bagels
Grand Central Station
Empire State Building
New York Public Library
Bryant Park
Schnipper's
Times Square
Battery Park


Robin and me in the jetway as we are boarding.














My brother and Robin, right after arrival, getting ready to take the A train into the city.
Photobucket

Walking down the beautiful streets of Chelsea.
Photobucket

Photobucket


I loved the Subway! It was so easy to navigate and get where we needed to go! We each got an unlimited week pass, and we definitely got our money's worth.













Grand Central Station: It was so strange getting off the subway, through some halls, and then suddenly finding ourselves in the large and gorgeous Grand Central Station.  It was a little disorienting.  I loved the architecture!
Photobucket














This is my favorite building from the entire trip! The Chrysler Building!
Photobucket

Our first glimpse of the Empire State Building.
Photobucket

Here's the view from the bottom...
Photobucket

One of many views from the top...
Can you see the top of the Chrysler Building?
Photobucket

Do you remember my theory about how you can judge how fancy a place is by looking at the bathroom?
Well this is the bathroom from the observation deck level.  Not very impressive, is it?
Photobucket

I loved the interior of the building. Everything was so grand and monumental.  It really feels like stepping out of time and into some bygone era of prestige and craftsmanship.
Photobucket

Ah...the New York Public Library...
Of all the buildings we visited, this one probably had the most impressive interior.
Photobucket

The famous reading room.  There is no way I could ever get any real studying done in this room; I would be too distracted with all of the amazing architecture.













Photobucket

























After our sojourn through the library, we took some time to relax in a little park directly behind the library.  It was very nearly perfection.
 Bryant Park is now one of my favorite locations in New York City.
Photobucket















Walking down Fifth Avenue, what did we spy? Yup...it's a leg lamp!

Photobucket


Times Square was cool, but also difficult to take in.  Everything is so big, and bright, and loud, and busy, that it is all quite overwhelming.  I liked it though.  I'd like to spend more time exploring it someday.



















Schnipper's! Great burgers, AMAZING salted caramel shakes!
It was so good that I insisted on going back a second time before we left.
Photobucket

Battery Park. This park felt sort of familiar because I had already visited it once in a video game.
Yup, I am that big of a dork...
Photobucket

We hit Battery Park last in the day because it is right next to the docks for the Staten Island Ferry, which we got to take every day going to and from Robin's sister's house.
Have I mentioned how much I love ferries?
They remind me of going to visit my grandparents in Seattle.
The lived on an island too.

Stay tuned for day two!

No comments: