Counter

Monday, May 9, 2011

Player Piano


I just finished reading Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut.
2 Stars.
I didn't care for it.
Dull plot with flat characters.
Embarrassingly juvenile and unrealistic dialog.
Unresolved, unsatisfying ending.
I just didn't really like it.
I hope his other stuff is better because I still want to read Slaughterhouse Five.
Some plot elements were similar to his short story Harrison Bergeron, which I really like, but Player Piano had a boring and unrealistic story with a laughable vision of the future.
If you are interested in reading dystopian fiction and are considering reading Player Piano, my suggestion would be to just read 1984, or Fahrenheit 451, again.
Player Piano was his first book, so we should probably cut him a bit of slack, and allow for the possibility of improvement.
If you go to Kurt Vonnegut's Wikipedia article, you can read about how he once graded his own books.
He gave Player Piano a "B".
His two most famous works, Cat's Cradle, and Slaughterhouse Five, were both given "A Plus" ratings.
He obviously thought more of Player Piano than I did, but it is hopeful to see that he didn't consider it one of his better works.
This gives me slightly more confidence as I consider reading more of his stories.

1 comment:

Robin said...

You made it!
It's too bad it wasn't as awesome as we were hoping. I thought there were interesting parts and concepts, but overall not very profound or meaningful, probably due to the fact you don't give a care about the characters like you do in 1984 or Fahrenheit. It also felt like he was trying too hard to be profound.