Counter

Thursday, January 13, 2011

True Grit


In the past I haven't been much of a fan of westerns, but I must admit; they are rapidly growing on me.

On Christmas Eve I went with Robin and her family to see the new Coen brothers adaptation of True Grit.

I had never seen the original, and I wanted to be prepared, so the night before, I watched the 1969 version featuring John Wayne.

Both films were excellent!

I honestly can't say that I liked one better than the other.  They were both so good.

It was cool seeing them back-to-back because it was very easy to see how they were similar, and how they differed.

I think that they go very well together because some parts of the story are better in the original, and other parts are better in the remake.

I loved both films and would definitely recommend them to anyone, even to those who don't normally like westerns.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Ahhh....I've been waiting to hear what you had to say about this movie :) I'm glad you liked them both so much-- I still have to watch the original version, but I'm going to make it a point to do so.

Chess said...

I'm not a Western fan either, but I have friends who are good judges of film, and they all loved it, so I think I'll invest the time and money. Eventually. :)

PS. Thanks for your list of movies. You should know that Ladyhawke is one of my very, very favorites since I was much younger. :)

Nikki said...

How can you not like westerns?! They're the epitome of what America stands for! ...Okay, so mostly I just like John Wayne. But I have to agree with you, I enjoyed the remake of True Grit as well even though I didn't really want to see it in the first place.