Counter

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Things That Must Go (part 3)

Here is yet another update to my "things that must go" series.  These are pretty much just my recent pet peeves, but I put together the list more for fun than for the sake of complaining. :)

1. Nose rings - Facial piercings in general, but especially nose rings.  Every time I see someone with a nose ring it grosses me out.  It's like they have a strange shiny tumor growing out of their face.  I can't even begin to estimate how many times I've admired the face of a pretty girl, only to be totally repulsed as soon as she turned her head to reveal a pierced nostril, eyebrow or lip.  I suppose some people find them attractive, but I don't, so I wish they would go away.



2. Zombies - I think the usual zombie stuff around Halloween is perfectly acceptable, but zombies have become an all-year thing, like vampires of recent years.  I'm kind of getting tired of hearing about a coming zombie apocalypse, and the necessity of hording weapons to fight them off.  Uh...this is real life people, there is no such thing as zombies.  I'm pretty sure it's not something you actually have to worry about.
As one friend recently put it, "zombies are in...vampires are so 2009."


3. Truck Nuts - Does this one really require an explanation?  I know of no quicker way to solidify your redneck status than by adding a pair of oversized novelty testicles to the underside of your truck.

4. Artistic naked baby photos - In fact, lets just eliminate naked baby photos all together.  Seriously, these things creep me out!  I don't want to see pictures of naked people, especially not of babies!  Who decided that these pictures were acceptable or even cute?  I see stuff like this plastered all over FB pages, blogs, framed in people's homes, and advertised on photo websites.  This includes naked newborn pictures.  I don't want to see it!  When I have kids, there will be no photos of them lying naked on a fur rug, or cradled in a bowl of fruit, or being held by their mother with their naked bum exposed.  Mark my words, NO NAKED BABY PICTURES!

5. Running red lights - Nearly every day, I see someone run a red light.  Usually I am stopped at an intersection and my light will turn green, and just as I am about to go, another car speeds through the intersection in front of me.  Once a light turns red, both directions stay red for one to two full seconds before the opposite direction changes to green.  This means that they aren't just barely missing the yellow light, they are blatantly driving straight through the red light.  It makes me mad every time I see it.  It is both rude and unsafe.  Learn some patience people!

Bonus #6. People who openly criticize things you like - I realize that it is somewhat ironic to openly criticize people for openly criticizing...but hear me out.  Have you ever told someone about something that you like, or enjoy doing, or thought was cool, and then you are subjected to a nonstop barrage of reasons why they think your thing is dumb?  Do they realize that by implication they are saying that you are dumb for liking it?  People have different tastes and they are free to like, or not like, whatever they choose.  So if somebody asks you for your opinion on something that you don't like, by all means be honest and tell them that you don't really like it, but leave it at that.  Arguing about differences in taste is both futile and rude.  I admit that I have probably been guilty of this in the past, and I now realize how annoying it is, so I will do better from now on.

3 comments:

Leon said...

I think all these things are dumb. Just kidding!

No, I agree with you, for the most part. I might be guilty of the bonus number 6, but working on it. That is to say, I'm working on not criticizing people and the things they like.

The first 2 are where I disagree with you. Piercings are hot. And girls that are into zombies are hot. So there. :)

Robby Spratt said...

I like zombies too, I just don't want them to turn into something lame like what popular fiction did to vampires. I am preemptively suggesting that people tone down the all-year zombie fascination so that in a few months we don't start seeing zombie themed romance novels and girls comparing inadequate guys to their perfect yet fictional zombie boyfriends. It's a tragedy what has happened to vampires...
The piercing thing just weirds me out. I'm even a little disinterested in ear piercings but I don't mention that one much. ;)

Nikki said...

Dear Robby,
It has been a long time since I've read your blog. I'm glad I read it tonight. I'm kind of bummed out right now and you helped me smile. So... thanks. :) Guess I better catch up with the other ones.