Counter

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

'63 Peugeot

Here is what I started with:

My Dad's old bike.
It is a 1963 Peugeot U08 ten-speed.

Until a few months ago, it had been sitting in a storage unit covered in 10 years of dust.
Prior to that, it had sat in our garage collecting dust for about 30 years.

I should have taken pictures before I cleaned it so you could see how gross it was.  In these pictures it actually doesn't look too bad.

All the cables were seized and rotten, it had a bent tooth on the rear cassette, and the handlebars definitely needed some work.  Oh...the tires were also flat.
Yes that is masking tape above the brake levers.


So several weeks ago I went down to the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective with Robin's dad, who just happens to be an expert in vintage Peugeot's.

Three hours of work, and $14 dollars spent on parts, and I had a '63 Peugeot that rides like new. :)

We installed new cables and housings, straightened the cassette, put a new tube in the front tire, and gave it a thorough tune-up.

Getting the masking tape off took quite a bit more work.  
It was clear that I was going to have to cut it off somehow, but I didn't want to damage the metal underneath.
I went through about 10 plastic knives trying to saw through that petrified mess.
Once I cut through most of it, I just had to go to work peeling as much off as I could.
A rag soaked in gasoline took care of the remaining sticky residue.

The handlebars came out looking clean and shiny!


With the addition of some new cork handlebar tape, a few lights, and my trusty saddle bag; I am now one happy cyclist. :)

I love sweet vintage rides!

In the near future I would like to do a little more work to it.
I need to install some toe-clip pedals, as well as get new tires.
The 40 year old tires still have a lot of tread left, but they are awfully stiff.
The brake pads are functional, but also fairly stiff.
I also plan on polishing the metal parts that have collected a bit of oxidation over the years.

For now though, it rides really well, and that is the biggest thing.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Very pretty.

Robin said...

It is pretty sweet. Nice job on the tape.

Doug said...

Pro job on the handlebar tape! Did you do it?

Robby Spratt said...

Yeah I did the tape. I just followed a few video tutorials I found online. It was pretty easy and it turned out well.