Counter

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Worst Day Ever!

Have you ever had a really bad day?  I don't mean a regular bad day where a bunch of things went wrong, I mean an epically bad day where things went as wrongly as possible.

Here is the story of my worst day ever.

It was about four years ago when I was still at Utah State.  I had a big test first thing in the morning in my Strengths of Materials class, so of course I stayed up late studying.

The class normally started at 8:30, but our teacher wanted to give us an extra hour to complete the test (which usually means that you will need that extra hour because it will be super-dang hard) so he had us starting at 7:30 am.

I went to sleep that night hopeful that I would be well prepared for this test.

Yeah, I slept through my alarm.

When I woke up, I looked at the clock and saw that it was 8:05.

8:05!

I was already 35 minutes late for my test!

I went into full-on panic mode and started freaking out.  Imagine the most desperate morning mad-dash in history!

I didn't have time to shower.  I didn't eat breakfast.  I didn't brush my teeth.  I didn't even go to the bathroom!  I just threw on some clothes, grabbed my backpack, and ran out the door.  

I lived not far from campus, and I probably could have walked to class in about 15 minutes, but I didn't have 15 minutes!

I ran to my car and sped up to campus.  I had no idea where I was going to park, I just had to get there ASAP!  

There is a little parking lot just outside the engineering building with a few parking meters, but they are almost always taken.  I was kind of planning on illegally parking somewhere and hoping that I didn't get a ticket in the time it took me to finish the test.
So I scream into the parking lot, and luckily there was one metered spot open.  I think I put in a quarter, but that didn't buy me much time.

So here I come rushing into class 45 minutes late for an exam, looking like an idiot.  All the busy test takers were focused and quiet, and every single one of them looked at me when I came in.  I'm sure I looked like I just rolled out of bed, because I did, but I think ten minutes from waking up to being in class must be some kind of record.  I'm actually kind of proud about that.

So I go to the front of the class to get my exam from the teacher, and of course he loudly reminds me that the exam started at 7:30.  I say "yeah, I know," grab my test, and find a seat in the back.

I start working on the exam, and I'm trying to go through it as quickly as possible to make up for lost time.  To make things worse, the test is really hard!  I thought I was well prepared for it, but I wasn't.  I had no idea how to do several of the problems.

So there I am sweating from my mad-dash to class, freaking out over this impossible exam, when suddenly, I have to go to the bathroom...bad.

(This may be TMI, but when I am really nervous about something, my body reacts by needing to go to the bathroom.)

So I'm trying to concentrate on this exam, while at the same time exerting all my powers of control to hold back the mess that is desperately trying to escape my bowels.  Needless to say, that would have been very bad.

It is at this time that I begin having an asthma attack.  Yes, I am serious.

(I have very very mild asthma.  So mild that it only pops up maybe once or twice a year.  I have an inhaler, but I use it so infrequently that I usually don't know where it is.)

So I am already an absolute mess, and now I start wheezing and coughing and struggling to breath.  As you can imagine, this drew a lot of attention my way.  I'm now sweating even worse than before.

I felt like I was going to die.  Not just die, but simultaneously fail a test, soil myself, and then die.  Had it actually occurred, it would have been an epically embarrassing death.

Finally I run out of time and my professor comes and takes the test away from me.  I have never been so glad to have a test over in all my life.  

I made a mad-dash for the bathroom, and took care of business.

With that taken care of, I felt a lot better.  The sweating stopped, the asthma calmed down, and I was finally able to gather my wits and figure out how I was going to recover.

I went outside to my car where a nice parking ticket was waiting for me.  Of course.

I had a class afterwards, but it was just institute, so I decided to skip it that day and get myself cleaned up a bit.

I drove home, showered, put on some clean clothes, had breakfast, and generally got myself put together.  After calming down a bit I walked back to campus to continue my day.

I don't remember how the rest of my day went, but nothing could have made up for that awful morning.

Yeah, I definitely failed that test.  100% genuine fail.  It was one of the worst tests in my college career, and the worst day of my life that I can remember.

At least it makes for a funny story.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

haha wow that is disasterous for sure! i'm glad it's over and you can laugh at it now. it reminds me of when i was taking a test and the boy behind me had to go to the bathroom and his feet were resting against the legs of my chair and they were just bouncing all over the place so that even i couldn't fill in the bubbles. haha i felt bad for him and it wasn't even as bad as your story!

Nikki said...

I will forever remember your story when I'm having a bad day. I've never had a bad day like that before. I'm sorry. (It is kind of funny though). And I didn't know you had asthma.