Counter

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Freakonomics and Dating

For my Econ 1010 class we are reading Freakonomics.  It's a pretty interesting book which I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a very basic understanding of the kinds of things that affect economy.

Chapter 2 deals with information and how people misrepresent it for their own benefit.  One specific example they give is online dating profiles and the kinds of personal stats people lie about.  Not surprisingly most people lie about their weight, height, and income.

They offered many other interesting statistics, such as:
-72% of women claim "above average" looks, with 68% for the men.
-If a man doesn't post a photo, he gets 60% as many e-mail responses as a man with a photo.
-If a woman doesn't post a photo she only gets 24% as many responses.
-56% of men, and 21% of women,  never get a single response.

Towards the end of the online dating example they talk about major disadvantages for both sexes.
One of the disadvantages for the men caught my eye.
"For a man, having red hair or curly hair is a downer."
Um...notice anything particularly red or curly about my hair?


A long time ago, I made the decision that I was not going to allow myself to enter the world of online dating unless I was 30 years old and still single.
I will be 28 in less than a week, so 30 is looming just around the corner.
I really hope I don't make it that long, because I really don't want to have to resort to the internet to get dates.
At least I don't have to worry about that for a while. ;)

1 comment:

Erica said...

Mmmmm red and curly :) You know, now that I think of it I don't know if I know any redheads that aren't curly..... huh.