Counter

Monday, August 16, 2010

Did I Do the Right Thing?

Last night I had a strange and puzzling experience.

I was driving down Bountiful Boulevard, minding the speed limit even though I was in a hurry to get someplace.  I may have let my speed creep a bit over the limit, but not much.  I really was trying to maintain an appropriate speed.

So there I am, motoring along in the dark, when suddenly I notice that there is a cop parked a little bit ahead of me, on the same side of the road.

I check my speed, and slow down just a bit before I pass him.  As I pass, I notice that he has his hand out the window and appears to be making some sort of motion which isn't clear.

Suddenly he flips on his lights!

Immediately I get that "Oh crap I'm being pulled over" feeling.  I slow way down, and watch my rear view mirror expecting him to pull out behind me.

He just stays put...

I have no idea if he wants me to pull over or what, so I slow down even more, and continue to watch the mirror.  Next thing I know, he turns his lights off again.

What the heck?  What is going on here?  I seriously have no idea what to do.

By this point I am only going maybe 15 mph because I was preparing to pull over at the first sign of pursuit.  I'm getting farther and farther away but he still just sits there.
Finally, I decide to keep going.  I sped up to the speed limit and went on my way.  He didn't follow, so I guess he didn't intend to pull me over after all.

It was still really weird though that he stuck his hand out the window and flipped on his lights just as I went by.  I'm not sure what he was doing, but I hope I did the right thing.

Now I'm freaking out that in a few days I will get some sort of nasty ticket in the mail for fleeing from a police officer, or whatever you would call that sort of situation.

Later that night when I left to go home again, I took the long way around so that I wouldn't risk passing the same cop again.

Perhaps he just wanted to have a laugh and see how bad he could freak someone out by flipping on his lights for a sec.
It will probably make for a good Facebook status with all of his cop buddies, or at least a humorous conversation on FB Chat. ;)

Cops are stupid!  Yeah, I said it!  If you are a cop and happen to be reading this, I think YOU are STUPID!  Take that jerk!

No comments: