Counter

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Case of the Missing Mouse Carcass

I have a cat.  My cat loves me.  When cats love people, they like to bring them presents.  These presents usually take the form of dead, half-eaten, rodent carcasses.

My cat brought me one of these half-eaten presents the other night.

I woke up when he first brought it in, got up, turned on the light, examined the gift, but was too tired to clean it up right away, so I went back to sleep.

A few hours later, I was woken a second time. This time, the upset which caused me to wake was the commotion of my cat playing with the dead mouse carcass.
In my half-asleep state, I remember seeing him pick it up and fling it across the room.  Immediately I imagined mouse guts scattered all over my room, and I realized that this wouldn't do at all.
I got out of bed, put the cat out in the hallway, and closed my door.  I really just wanted to prevent him from making the mess any bigger.

Anyway, morning came, and I got up to begin the process of cleaning up the dead mouse remains...only now I can't find the dead mouse!

I distinctly remember the spot on the floor where he originally deposited it, and I distinctly remember him flinging it in the general direction of my desk, but I seriously can't find it!

I launched an all out search for this dead mouse!  I looked under, and behind, everything in my room!.  I even looked inside all my shoes!  I can't find the thing!

Somewhere in my room a dead mouse carcass has been cleverly hidden, and I need to find it before it starts to stink!

There is a possibility that when I kicked the cat out of my room, he still had in in his mouth.  If that is the case, then the dead mouse is probably in one of the other rooms in our house, which will make it even more difficult to find.
I'm going to give my room one last go-over, and then I'm going to have to expand my search beyond the confines of my own bedroom.

I sure hope I solve this mystery soon!

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Eeep! Well, at least it was a DEAD mouse carcass...my neighbor's cat Spooky once lovely presented her with a chipmunk; and she only realized it was still alive when her cat put it down and it ran away. Took her like two days to track it down! :S

Jessica said...

My cat brings birds, and half the time they're still alive. I'm not sure how he catches them, but it's not my favorite thing when he brings one home.

Chess said...

Eeeeeewwwwwww! I'm so glad I'm not you right now! Good luck finding it. Yeesh.