Counter

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Recent Reads

If you have read many of my posts, you probably know that I really like to read. The problem is that I suddenly got so busy at the end of the semester that I neglected to blog about the few books I had read prior to becoming busy. The semester is now over, and I would like to remedy my negligence.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

I've had these books for a while now, but never got around to reading them until a few weeks ago. Contrary to popular belief I did not read these books because of the new Tim Burton movie. I never had much desire to see this movie, and after hearing the reviews, I definitely did not want to see this movie. I think I decided to read these books because my brother had recently read them, and had quite liked them. I also felt like something a little more fun and light after all the heavy books I had read recently.
I must say that I enjoyed these books. They are both fun, quick reads, and they expertly capture the feeling of being in the middle of a dream. The dreamlike quality of these books is probably the thing I enjoyed most. I love how circumstances and scenery suddenly change with no explanation, yet all the characters just go along with the changes as if they were the most natural occurrences in the world...exactly like most of my dreams.
I must add that I absolutely hate the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland. That's not saying that it isn't a quality film, or the best adaptation of the novels, but as a child I'm pretty sure it traumatized me. The movie is just freaky and weird. It plays like a drug induced hallucination rather than the silly dream of the books. Perhaps I should give the film another chance now that I am older, because it really freaked me out as a kid. Despite that, the books were excellent!

Night and Day by Robert B. Parker

This is one of the books in Robert Parker's Jesse Stone series. Jesse Stone is an LAPD homicide detective turned small town police chief. I was first introduced to the character through the made-for-TV movies featuring Tom Selleck. The movies are fantastic, and I absolutely love the character! Prior to this, I hadn't read any of the books, in fact I hadn't read many murder mystery/detective novels at all. So far my only exposure to mystery has been through Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Allan Poe.
Lately I've been in the mood for a little mystery, so to satisfy my cravings I picked up this book. It was a lot of fun, and because it was mostly dialog, it was also a very quick read. I read the entire 300+ pages in less than half a day. I need to read more of the actual books, but compared to the movies, I wouldn't say that this was one of the better plots. There were never any twists or unveiled plot elements, the story just played out in a very ordinary, linear fashion. I'm not saying that it isn't good, because it was definitely enjoyable, but it just wasn't that exciting or thrilling. The characters are really what made this book so fun.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Mmmmm Tom Selleck.

Chess said...

I read the first two this semester. So weird, yet fun. Also, you will just have to stop by and find out what tomorrow is!

Jessica said...

My parents said you read a biography of Tesla sometime recently. What was it called and do you recommend it?

Robby Spratt said...

It was called "My Inventions, The Autobiography of Nikola Tesla". It was good, but quite short. It was also rather strange. Being autobiographical, it really showed off his eccentricities. He would make strange comments that he would say he would explain later, and then never explain them. He talked about visions he would have, and strange pains accompanied by flashes of light. He was brilliant, but definitely not normal. I would recommend it.