Counter

Friday, April 16, 2010

Cilantrophobia!

Devout readers of my blog are probably already aware that I HATE CILANTRO! I first declared my distaste for this nasty little herb in my original "Things That Must Go" post.

Recently I was having dinner with the beautiful and talented Miss D (who happens to be one of my favorite people in the whole universe), when the topic of Cilantro arose.

While we were trying to decide what to order, I explained the strong aversion that I have to its pungent taste. The always agreeable Miss D was surprised by my strong feelings on the issue, considering we agree on practically everything, and she happens to rather enjoy Cilantro.

Somewhere in the interim of discussing Cilantro, and actually placing our orders, I neglected to request "no Cilantro please," when the waiter took our orders. Of course I didn't realize this mistake until my order arrived generously covered in leafy greens. I picked most of the big leafs off, but I couldn't get all the little fragments.
Despite the pleasant company and conversation, I had a less than pleasant dining experience.

Today, further demonstrating her awesomeness, Miss D referred me to an article from the New York Times, entitled, "Cilantro Haters, It's Not Your Fault". I found this article to be incredibly liberating! All this time I thought I was alone...I thought I was the only person on the planet not enjoying the wonders of Cilantro. Come to find out, my dislike of Cilantro is shared by none other than the legendary Julia Child!

It turns out that I'm not at all weird for hating Cilantro. The article explains how some people are genetically predisposed to taste Cilantro differently from other people. Those who don't like it usually describe the taste as being "soapy". I usually describe it as tasting like copper coins, but I can understand the soapy description as well.

This article made me very happy, because now I have a real explanation for why Cilantro seems to disagree with me so fiercely! Never again will I be ashamed to request "no Cilantro" at restaurants! I feel as though I have found my place in the world, and I am not alone! Fellow Cilantrophobes are so numerous, there is an "I Hate Cilantro" Facebook page, and even an "I Hate Cilantro" blog!

CILANTROPHOBES UNITE!












1 comment:

Nikki said...

You are so funny! I like cilantro in salsa and that's about it. I'm glad you're not alone. :)