Counter

Friday, March 5, 2010

My (almost) 100 Year Old Shave!

Some of you may know that I have picked up a new hobby: Traditional Wetshaving!
In case you don't know, wetshaving is where you use a brush with soap/cream to apply lather to your face; you then shave with either a single blade safety razor, or a straight razor.
For Christmas, my brother gave me this baby:

A brand new Merkur HD 34C double edged safety razor! This is one gorgeous razor! It is also very highly regarded in the wetshaving community. I've gotten pretty good at using it, and hardly ever nick myself anymore. I get a great shave, with very little irritation.

The other day, my Dad was rooting around in the basement, and found this:


It is a Gillette Old Type Ball End Pocket Razor in the ABC floral case. Based on the serial number, it was made in 1916, with a 1904 patent! It belonged to my father's great aunt's husband. They didn't have any sons, so when he died, she gave it to my Dad.

After we cleaned it up a bit, I put a new blade in it and gave it a go. It wasn't my best shave ever. It is pretty aggressive, and I am still learning how to use these razors. I came away with a few nicks, but overall it wasn't too bad. It is very sensitive to blade angle and applied pressure, so my lacking skills were the only problem. I suppose it is a good way to learn proper technique.

I used it a few more times this week, and I've gotten better, but I doubt it will ever give me as nice a shave as my Merkur. Still, how cool is it to have shaved with a 94 year old razor?! I think it is pretty darn cool. I suppose if I didn't think it was cool, I wouldn't be blogging about it. ;)

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Honestly Robby, you're such a weirdo! But who am I to say such things... I'm weird too! :)

Erica said...

Lol I love that our dad's can produce such great treasures out of their rooms :)

Leon said...

I've gone clean shaven...once...in the past few months.

Once.