Counter

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Does This Seem Strange To Anyone Else?

I thought I would try to entertain all of you with a tale of a strange woman. Here it goes.

So a while back, I was hanging out at a friends house. There was a girl there that I hadn't met before. Surprisingly we seemed to hit it off right away.
Usually I am pretty reserved with new people, but this time I was myself right away.
She seemed to be a big tease, just like me; so before long we were laughing and giving each other a hard time about our various oddities.
She is a lot younger than I am, so probably the reason I was able to be myself so quickly is because there was no way in you-know-what that I would ask her out.

Anyway, a few days later, I am doing homework at the library when I get a text message. It is from this girl! At first I teased her about stalking me, and creepily obtaining my number. I'm sure one of our mutual friends just gave it to her.
After a bit of joking, she explained that there was a show happening that night, and asked if I would like to go...
So here I am, in the library, wondering, "is this girl asking me out?" I didn't know how to respond. Finally I tell her that I would definitely like to go, and then I ask if she would like me to pick her up. She tells me to just come over to her place and then we will go to the show.
I have no idea if this is a date or not.

At the appointed time I go over to her house. Some guy answers the door and pretends like he isn't going to let me in. After an obnoxiously long wait, I actually make it inside the house where I find a couple of guys, and the roommate of the girl who invited me. By now I've figured out that (big relief) this is a group thing.
I'm there for a minute or two, and then everyone starts getting ready to go. I ask the roommate where the girl who invited me is. The roommate tells me that she had a class that night and couldn't go.

What?

Are you serious?

I'm totally fine with this being a group thing rather than a date, but this girl invited me herself, and made it sound like she wanted me to go with her, and now she isn't coming?
To be honest, if I hadn't been invited by this girl, I probably wouldn't have gone. I had other stuff I could have been doing that night, and I didn't want to hang out with a bunch of people I had never met before.

The guy who initiall wouldn't let me in volunteered to drive everyone. I was seriously fearing for my life! It wasn't even a long drive, but we almost died several times! He was the worst driver I have ever met. After the dang thing was over, I got out of there as quickly as I could.

So I ask the question: Does this scenario seem strange to anyone else? Is it normal to invite someone to a social event, and then not show up yourself? I found the whole thing to be rather perplexing.
I saw the girl a few times after that, and she turned out to be kind of crazy and weird, so I'm glad I got wind of her flakiness early on.
I guess I can scratch that one off my list...

2 comments:

Kendra said...

that is really weird. uh did you know anyone else in the group at least? well at least it makes for a good story :)

Robby Spratt said...

Yeah, I knew the roommate. It was still really weird though.