Counter

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Window to the Soul is...the Nightstand?

Tonight, while I was preparing to wind down for the evening, I realized that I had time to do some reading before bed. I glanced over at my nightstand, and looked over the pile of books I am currently reading. It occurred to me that this pile says a lot about what kind of guy I am. Here is a nice list for you to study:

1. I am the sort of person who reads multiple books at once. I guess I choose books based on what kind of mood I am in. Sometimes I will get bored with one and pick up another. Due to my concurrent reading habits, it often takes me a long time to finish a book.

2. Notice the headlamp. This handy little tool makes reading in bed much easier. By using the headlamp I can turn out my lights in advance, get all tucked in, and read the night away until I get sufficiently sleepy. I guess you could say that I avoid getting out of bed, whenever possible.

3. You may be wondering why I have two alarm clocks. The larger one has red illuminated numbers that can be easily read in the middle of the night. The smaller one, in addition to telling time, also tells me the temperature. I have a hard time sleeping if my room is warmer than 70 degrees. I use the small clock to determine if I need to open my window, or turn on the AC.

4. The clocks again. Despite having two alarm clocks right next to my bed, I don't use either of them for my wake-up alarm. I use my cell phone, which is always placed on the other side of the room, thus forcing me to actually get out of bed to shut it off. Remember the avoiding getting out of bed thing? Yeah, well that especially applies to the morning hours. Being able to shut off my alarm clock with one movement of a semi-conscious flailing limb, is a recipe for over-sleeping, tardiness, and failure at life. The only time I actually use these alarm clocks for their alarm function, is in the event that I absolutely must be awake by a certain time, and there is a chance that I will get back in bed after deactivating my cell phone. Depending on the severity of the occasion, I will set up to four alarms. (The fourth alarm is my old digital watch.) If ever you hear about a four-alarm morning, you know it must be serious!

5. If you look closely at the foremost pile of books, you will notice that the book on the very bottom of the stack is my journal. It's placement in the pile is a reflection of how often it is used. In this case, rarely.

Now it is time to look at the individual books in more detail. Please take a moment to examine exhibit B:
Lets start on the bottom row shall we?

6. I'm kind of a nerd. I like sciency things. Visions, is a book about how technology will evolve over the next century due to advances in computers, DNA research, and quantum theory. Michio Kaku is a renowned theoretical physicist, and one of the authors of the current string-theory, the most promising attempt at a unified field theory. Sounds cool huh?!

7. I like reading a lot. I like reading classics. I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. My brother tells me that I'm now to the part where the book starts to get really good. I'm pretty excited about that.

8. A dictionary. I hate not knowing what words mean, so when I am reading a book with a lot of unfamiliar words, I will generally pause to look up those words. Another reason why it sometimes takes me a while to read a book.

9. I like movies. I've written quite a few blog posts about movies. I enjoy talking about both movies I love, and movies I hate. I must say that I am really enjoying Your Movie Sucks, by Roger Ebert. It is a collection of some of his most scathing reviews, and it is pretty darn funny. The best thing about the book is that each review is only about a page and a half long, which makes it a great book to read when you have a few minutes to kill.

10. Ok, I know this is the one you are probably all wondering about. I wouldn't say that I am actually "reading" this book, it's more like keeping it accessible for easy reference.
I should probably 'esplain' how I came to purchase this book.
Last summer, a local book store was having one of those "all the books you can fit in a bag" sales. When I got there it seemed as though the store had already been pretty well picked over; so I was tossing everything even remotely interesting into my bag. I have yet to read any of the other books I got that day, but so far The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dating has been totally worth my six bucks! (Oh, the fact you are supposed to learn from this one is that I am a complete idiot when it comes to dating.)

There you have it! Ten fun facts about me, just from examining my night stand! Also, because I decided to write this blog, I didn't actually get to do that reading I had time for. Curse you infernal blog! (Not really though, I kind of like my dang blog.)

4 comments:

AMS said...

How true it is. I wish I had a unified soul-window. I guess my whole apartment is, though there are three other windows all mingling with it.

Chess said...

I love Shakespeare! I just think Hamlet is a silly name. I only get to read for fun during the summer and Christmas break. You're lucky.

Jessica said...

Okay, so generally I'm just a blog-stalker who never comments, but I decided to blow my cover because I was so excited that I'm not the only one who reads totally nerdy books. I am about halfway through "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku, which is pretty interesting, if a bit long-winded in places. If egg-breaking gets boring this year (not that that will ever happen), we should compare notes on nerdy books. I read an excellent one about phosphorus (seriously--it was really interesting).

Robby Spratt said...

I've also read "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku, but I read it back in high school, so admittedly I didn't understand it fully. That's one I'd like to go back and read again now that I have had lots of physics and math.