Counter

Thursday, January 21, 2010

TRON

Recently my brother and I certified our geekness by fulfilling one of my life goals: to view the movie "TRON".
I have to say that it was one of the most bizarre films I have ever seen. It's like someone who doesn't actually understand computers(even though they think they do) trying to explain how they work to someone who has played way too many 1970's video games, and happens to be high on hallucinogenic drugs.
Some of the stuff in "Tron" is sort of cool, and if you use your imagination you can sort of tell what they were going for. For example, the light-bikes were semi-exciting...ok, that's really about it. I could have done without the glowy-frisbee battles, and the "river" of energy that they drank from to "recharge".
For me the coolest thing in the whole dang movie was the computer that the evil corporate dude had in his office. It was just a smooth black table, but it was really a computer that responded to touch. He would touch it and a keyboard would appear, images would be displayed, and it would talk to him. It was almost like a vision of the iPhone from 1982. Actually I think that this idea would still be cool in the future. Can you imagine a giant iPhone that is as big as a table? That would be pretty sweet.
I honestly can't recommend this film to anyone, it was just too dang weird. I'm glad I saw it, but I will probably never watch it again. The only reason I can think of for watching "Tron" is if seeing it would fill some sort of void in the makeup of your inner-geek. It's just not that cool, even for 1982.

END OF LINE

4 comments:

Nikki said...

You are such a nerd.

Robby Spratt said...

Yup. :)

Levi Dean said...

The 1982 giant iphone table you want is called the Microsoft Surface, check it out.

Robby Spratt said...

Whoa! That Surface is incredible! I can't wait for those things to be available to the public.