Counter

Friday, January 1, 2010

Heteroclitic Holiday Highlights

(In case you are wondering, "heteroclitic" basically means "unusual". I had to pull out the thesaurus in hopes of forming an alliterate title. Yes, I am that weird.)

This holiday season was full of the usual family, Christmas, and New Year's festivities. This post isn't about any of those. Instead I thought I would share something totally different.

First highlight: I shaved off my dang beard! I won't bore you with the details since I already did that in my previous post. The real highlight of this event was the maiden voyage of this bad boy:

The Merkur HD Classic Double Edge Razor. Oh yeah!

Second highlight: I got sick. Really sick. Puking-my-guts-out sick. Ok, this isn't so much of a highlight as it is a significant event. It was pretty much awesome though because I got to wander around the house all day looking like this:
Notice the puke pail, the zip-up-blanket, the bottle of water, and the pathetic facial expression.

Third highlight: Clementine elephants! We do this every year. This shows just how dorky my family really is.
This started a few years ago when my brother peeled his Christmas Clementine in a very particular way. I immediately picked up the peelings, held them up to my face, and started making elephant noises. This spawned into some sort of bizarre tradition. Without fail, every year, someone eats a Clementine and makes this peel-face. Shortly thereafter, the rest of us grab our Clementines and join in the foolishness. The best is seeing my Mom try to do it. That's the way we roll!

2 comments:

Levi Dean said...

How do you like your new razor? I've considered trying one or a straight edge for some time now. A few years ago I switched from canned shaving cream to the old fashioned way; mug, soap cake and brush. It makes such a difference shaving.

Also, I'm so glad to hear that other people make elephants out of Clementines. I've been doing it for over 7 years. I learned it in Korea from some members kids. But over there we call Clementines kyuls and they aren't seedless. Although you only get one seed for every ten kyuls or less.

Get feeling better soon!

Robby Spratt said...

A brush and soap is totally the way to go. I also made that switch a few years ago and I was surprised at how much better a shave you get just by lathering with a brush. The razor is really nice, and gives a great shave, it just takes a lot of patience and practice. I don't totally have the hang of it yet. It is really cool because you can hear it cut each hair as you let it glide across your face. You do have to take it easy for a few weeks while your face adjusts, so thus far I haven't shaved as close as you can with one of these razors.
I've been reading a lot about shaving on Badger and Blade's forum, it is full of good info.
That's cool that you do the elephant thing too. Oh and I am feeling all better now.