Counter

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Creeper

I have a confession...I'm kind of shy. I hate being shy! "Reserved" is the nice way of saying it. This is something I've been trying to overcome most of my life. It's only been within the last few years that I've actually made major progress in this difficult social arena. I am proud to say that I am now sufficiently confident to go up and introduce myself to pretty much anyone(almost). I will admit that these initial conversations don't always go well.
Because of my lingering shyness, I sometimes have trouble making conversation, especially if I happen to be talking to a cute girl. Why am I making all of these confessions you ask? Basically because I'm concerned that my occasional shyness makes me come across as creepy.
A little creepiness never hurt anyone...right?
Ok, so maybe I think it is funny to act deliberately creepy around close friends, but that's just because they know me well enough to understand my strange sense of humor. However, in general, creepiness is not the impression I am going for.

* * *

Consider the following two stories of inadvertent creepy behavior:

Story 1

It was the beginning of a new semester and I was anxiously engaged in meeting the new people at church.
I see a new girl who looks sort of familiar. I decide to go up and talk to her.

Me: Hey, how's it going? It's Lisa, right?
Girl: Actually it's Lesley, Have we met?
M: Didn't we meet at that social activity last week?
G: Um, I don't think so.
M: Oh...well my name is Robby.
G: Hi.
M: So what are you studying?
G: Engineering.
M: Really? I think we did meet last week because somehow I already knew you were doing engineering...
G: That's because you're a creeper...
M: Oh...um...sorry....

At this point I was pretty sure that any chance of a graceful recovery was lost, so I just let it go. I will admit that it really hurt my feelings that she accused me of being creepy just for trying to have a conversation. Needless to say I never made another attempt to get to know this girl.

I later realized that I had in fact met a girl named Lisa who was studying engineering; it was just an honest mistake on my part and a coincidence that these two girls with similar sounding names happened to be studying the same thing.


Story 2

First some background. Prior to this story I had actually met this girl three or four times. She and I have several friends in common, but for some reason she and I had never really hung out together. We met at church twice, and at the wedding reception of one of our mutual friends. I think we may have talked at a Halloween party, but (because of the costume) I don't think I realized it was her until later. Anyway, the only reason I remembered her name after these few causal meetings is because she and I seem to stay updated on the blogs and Facebook pages of our mutual friends...so I see her name in comments and stuff. I remind you that all of these things are merely casual observations on my part; there was absolutely no stalking involved! I promise!

Anyway, I see this girl at a social gathering. On the off-chance that she might actually remember me, I decide to go up and talk to her.

Me: Hey Jodie, how's it going?
Jodie: I'm good...do I know you?
M: I'm Robby, we've met a couple of times. I'm friends with So-and-so, Jimbo Bob, and What's-her-face.
J: Oh, I'm sorry, I don't remember.
M: That's ok. We have a lot of friends in common, but for some reason you and I have never really hung out.
J: I'm surprised you actually remember me.
M: Well, I probably wouldn't have, except that you and I frequent the same blogs, so I see your name in the comments all the time.
J: That's kind of creepy...
M: Yeah, sorry. It is kind of a weird world where we can know someone through the internet, even if we don't actually know them in real life.
J: Yeah, did you know that Jimbo Bob and I have never actually met?
M: I did not know that...
J: Yeah, we only know each other through Facebook, but we are really close.
M: That's cool... Anyway, I recognized you tonight and figured that it was time that we became acquainted. Sorry if it was kind of weird.
J: No, it's ok; it's nice to meet you.

Admittedly this conversation went a bit better, but for a while there it was circling the shower drain of disaster.

* * *

I suppose the point of this post is for me to apologize to any girl who has ever been weirded out by my awkward shyness. I promise if you get to know me you will find that I'm actually a pretty normal nice guy. If you doubt me, I can provide character references upon request...



p.s. I changed/made-up the names of everyone involved in the previous two stories. I didn't change them to protect their privacy (because I'm pretty sure they don't read this blog anyway,) I altered the names simply because I wanted to. So Take That!

p.p.s. If you still doubt my normalcy after reading through my blog, that is understandable. You should know that I use this blog primarily as an outlet for all of my quirks and oddities. I have to get this stuff out of my system so I can be normal the rest of the time!

p.p.p.s. I originally wasn't going to publish this post, but I decided to go ahead and do it thanks to the interest of this person. Blame her if you didn't like it!

p.p.p.p.s. Are you still reading this? "Turn off your computer and go to sleep!"

p.p.p.p.p.s. You will get one million bonus points if you know what classic video game I just quoted. :)

8 comments:

Nikki said...

I would... in no way call you normal. A dork, a geek, a nerd... but never normal. ;)
We all have our creeper moments... I guess now could be a creeper moment. Hmmm...

Kendra said...

I'm so glad you posted this! and yes I take full blame :) But I think everyone can be thought of as a creeper. Like when I know someone just by seeing their pictures in facebook and meet them in real life... yeah. And sometimes creepy is the cool thing right? I mean think about creepy twilight where the vampire just stays in her room all night watching her. People think this is romantic? hmmm. Thanks Robby!

Leon said...

Normal people don't have conversations about e. Crap.

Robby Spratt said...

Ah yes...our amazing number e discussion... Those were the days.
Ok, so perhaps my normalcy isn't worth defending after all.

Erica said...

I only have one thing to say, besides the fact that I think you are amazing. "Red Rum"

Robby Spratt said...

That's the sign of a dedicated reader! Thanks Erica!

Dave said...

Robby, I would purpose that you might want to apologize not only to women, but to men you may have creeped out as well. I'm sure you recall the creeping out of a certain male friend of a guest, who never came over again. Just a thought. As for your creepiness, keep it up.

Robby Spratt said...

Nah, that was too funny to be worth apologizing for. Besides I don't care about creeping out guys. Oh, and thanks everyone for totally ruining all of my not-so-creepy arguements.