Counter

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Backpack Strap Etiquette

Today, while I was leaving the sanctuary of the Shepherd Union building, and reluctantly retreating back to my rightful place in the Engineering building, I realized that, in my haste, I was wearing my backpack on only one shoulder.
Instantly my mind was taken back to my days in elementary school, and junior high, when it was considered majorly uncool to wear both your backpack straps on their respective shoulders.
At the time, I desperately wanted to utilize the full functionality of my backback by actually wearing both straps. Terrified of appearing even less cool than normal, I succumbed to the zeitgeist of the single-strap era.
I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the way, this fad reverted back to the more logical two-strap method.
This odd memory made me realize how much I appreciate being able to wear both straps, at the same time, whenever I want, and still maintain my respective level of coolness.
At this point you are probably thinking that, after making such a realization, I would have promptly placed the lone strap in its proper place...I very nearly did. Instead, I decided to live in the past for a brief moment and proudly sport the diminished coolness of the single-strap.
Sadly, I wasn't able to dwell in this moment for long, because my attention was needed elsewhere. It was nice however, to enjoy a little early afternoon nostalgia.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

haha i loved that! That's when a lot of us decided to get the side mail bag look where there was only one strap to deal with in the first place. love it :)