Counter

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sweeney Todd

Friday night I had a truly choice experience. I got to take a date up to Logan to see USU's production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!
A pleasantly long drive, followed by pizza at Fredrico's provided an excellent beginning to the evening. We got to double with my brother Andrew and his date Erika, who happens to be one of my favorite people in Logan. Since I moved, I don't get to see my brother as often, so it was nice that we all got to go together.
Going in, I was completely unaware of the characters or story in Sweeney Todd. I never saw the film, or any other production, so in all respects, this was my first ever Sweeney Todd experience. Let me begin by saying that it was amazing!
My date is very well versed not only with Sweeney Todd, but with theater in general, and she thought it was fantastic. We both agreed that it was the best university production either of us had ever seen.
I was really impressed by the nature of the story. It was really a deep and poignant, yet tragic tale. I really loved all of the characters, their individual stories, and the life lessons that were presented through their experiences.
The production was fantastic! I'm really glad we sprang for the good seats on the front row so we could really take in all the little details that might otherwise go unnoticed. We were so close we could see the sweat dripping and the spit flying! It was also thrilling to see my friend Andrea in the ensemble cast. She did a great job!

The music was different than anything I have ever heard in any other musical. I'm still not sure exactly what I thought of it, but it was very good. I thought the drama was excellent. I was surprised at some of the twists and close calls that were present, there were a lot of parts that really surprised me, or had me on the edge of my seat. I was also surprised at how funny it was. Some of the songs portrayed truly vile acts, but I laughed through the whole thing. There were also a lot of more subtle moments that the actors were able to use to generate big laughs. I've definitely never seen anything quite like it before. Overall I thought it was excellent, and well worth the trip to Logan.
The excursion yielded many highlights, not least of which was the disappointingly brief drive back to Bountiful. I had a fantastic evening and wished it could have lasted longer.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

You were in Logan and you didn't even say hi? I'm slightly offended. But I'm glad you enjoyed the production. My roommate enjoyed it as well.

Erica said...

My brother-in-law played Sweeney Todd in the production. I was blown away by how amazing it was.

Robby Spratt said...

Sorry Nikki, I was on a pretty tight schedule...
Erica, Anthony really was incredible. Everyone did a really excellent job!