Counter

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Midnight Lights

So I had a weird experience last night. I was lying in bed trying unsuccessfully to sleep when all of a sudden(at about 12:05 am) my room is illuminated with a super bright blue light from outside. First I thought to myself, "Is someone shining their headlights into my window?" But then I realized that my window is on the wrong side of the house for that to happen. The light quickly changed from blue to brilliant white. With the changing color I thought to myself, "Is someone lighting fireworks outside?" But of course I realized that I would have heard them if that were the case. Suddenly the light changed to red, and now I jumped out of bed thinking that there was a fire outside. I looked out the window and all I could see were the Christmas lights on my neighbors house. Completely puzzled I laid back down and tried to figure out what I had seen. I couldn't explain it at all. These spectacularly bright lights only lasted maybe three seconds max. I got up several times to look out the window again hoping I would see something that would explain what I had seen. I knew that no Christmas lights could light up my room as if it were day time...so what was it? In my mind I was considering everything from heavenly visitors and UFOs to some prankster with a billion candle power spotlight.
Eventually I fell asleep, and didn't get a chance to investigate further until after school. On my way home I caught the tail end of a radio news program that talked about bright lights in the sky and something the size of an oven.
As soon as I got home I hopped on the computer and quickly found the answer to this amazing experience. A METEOR!
Here is a link to a bunch of good videos.
Here is a link to the news coverage.
This was a pretty incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm glad I was a awake for it. I just wish I was outside looking up at the sky when it happened. I need to do more star gazing.
So did any of you see the lights? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

No comments: