Counter

Monday, November 9, 2009

500 Days of Summer

"This is a story of boy meets girl; but you should know up front, this is not a love story."

The few people who know me really well also know that I have a weakness for romantic movies. I know I'm a guy and I'm supposed to like movies with guns, and explosions, and hot girls driving fast cars...and I do, to a certain extent; but deep down I'm really just a hopeful romantic. (Don't tell anyone, ok?)
Anyway, I recently discovered a new favorite movie; 500 Days of Summer. This movie is absolutely fantastic, and is probably the most realistic film about relationships that I have ever seen. How do I know it's realistic? Well, simply because it describes, almost exactly, the pattern that has been present in all of the significant relationships I have had in my life. I frequently relate to life through the movies I see, and this one is as applicable as they come.
This isn't a fluffy, predictable movie about finding the great love of your life through extraordinary circumstances; this is a down-to-earth story about the relationship struggles we often must pass through in the pursuit of love. The hard truth is that no matter how certain we are of our feelings for someone, often the relationship doesn't turn out the way we want it to. The trick seems to be learning what you can from each relationship, and then moving forward until you finally meet that certain someone who is equally certain about you.
After seeing 500 Days of Summer, it seems as though the last several years of my life have been as if this movie were stuck on repeat. Perhaps one day I will finally learn the necessary lessons, allowing the movie of my dating life to end, and the story of my real life to finally begin.

2 comments:

Jami said...

i will for sure check out this movie then... also, ive been living in ogden for a little bit now- we should meet up. i can meet you on campus or i live real close to campus and you could come have lunch. so lets try to work something out

Robby Spratt said...

That's awesome Jami! I'll have to give you a call one of these days.