Counter

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Shake n' Bake

A couple of weeks ago I went down to Provo to play in a local speedball tournament. Well, it was sort of speedball. It was a hyperball field, restricted to gravity fed hoppers, using NPPL rules. Oh, in case you don't know what I'm talking about, this is a paintball thing.

It was a lot of fun, but it was a long, dang, tournament! We were there from six thirty in the morning until after six in the evening! It was also a lot harder than I thought it would be. The games themselves weren't extremely difficult, but we played so many. I'm used to the woodsball tournaments where you play three to six games with each game lasting thirty or forty minutes. These games were only five minutes each, but we played over a dozen. Also, I played in two divisions; open, and pump. I was surprised at how beat I was by the end. I even took a little nap in the car on the ride home.

There were two games of the day that really stood out. In one game, we had some bad luck early-on and were down on numbers. We shot out one of their guys, but lost three of our own, leaving me and Doker against their remaining four players. Our teammates watching from the sidelines thought we had already lost the game. I'm not sure how this happens but, somehow, I usually play better when I am outnumbered. I was able to shoot out the remaining players, and Doker ran the flag for the win. When we left the field we were greeted with the excited praise of our teammates. It was a really good moment for us.
The other really cool game was against a much better team that we have some rivalry with. Our team captain really wanted a win, and said that he would consider it a personal favor if we destroyed them. With that expectation, I was really nervous going into the game. I seriously have no idea how we did it, but we worked them...hard! Everyone played super well and we beat them while only losing one of our own players. We were so excited about our win that we were cheering and high-fiving and everything!

After that game our captain thanked us multiple times for getting him that win. He said that this game totally made his day. For me it was sort of bitter sweet because that same team ended up beating us for first place in the finals. At least we still took it to them in that one game.
In the pump division we lost our first two games, but then we switched up our strategy a bit and never lost another game! Unfortunately those loses early in the tournament kept us out of the finals, but we were really pleased with how well we played after the adjustments we made.
After everything was over, we came away with second place in the open division. I was pretty pleased with those results. Overall, it was a really fun tournament. I hope it becomes an annual event.

No comments: