Counter

Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek

Ok, so I just got back from seeing the new Star Trek movie. I thought it was...ok. Now before you start freaking out and thinking that I didn't like it, let me clarify and say that I did like it; I thought it was a lot of fun. It was just not as good as I was led to believe. Currently on www.rottentomatoes.com it is at a 96% approval rating. If I were to rate it myself, I would put it at a 75%. It is a well written, well acted, exciting, action packed, sci-fi thrill ride; but that's all it seemed to be. My impression was that it is just a new-fangled, revved up, big-budget, pop-culture-pleasing, hip and with it, grittier version of the classic Star Trek franchise. Everything that it has is excellent...it just seems to be missing substance. It lacked some emotional attachment to the characters, some meaningful reason for you to want the crew to succeed. For me all that was in my mind was, "well of course they are going to succeed, this is Captain Kirk we are talking about..." It seemed to lack a real sense of danger and mystery. I would definitely say that it is worth seeing, maybe even twice; and definitely worth seeing in the theater. This movie is big, fast, and loud; it is ideal for a theater setting. My only caution is to not expect anything more than your standard action-packed summer blockbuster.

No comments: